ADSM-L

Re: Include Exclude on Windows

1998-07-02 12:14:40
Subject: Re: Include Exclude on Windows
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:14:40 GMT
Replying to: Ganesan Ravishanker <ravishan AT WESLEYAN DOT EDU> (Fri, 19 Jun
1998
16:49:04 -0400)

>Hi All
>
>    I have a client options set on the server using which I am controlling the
> client directories that I want to backup. Basically, we are asking the users
> to place all files in d:\backup for backup. I have the following three client
> options in the order they appear:
>
>exclude.dir ?:\...\*
>exclude.dir ?:\
>include d:\backup\...\*.* desktop
>
>    where desktop is my management class. Everything in d:\backup and below is
> getting backed up. However, all the directories in my C: and D: drives are
> being "sent". The documentation clearly says that include exclude rules do
> not apply to directories and that one should use exclude.dit syntax, which is
> what I am using. How do I avoid all 25,000 directory names from appearing in
> my filespace? Also, when I use the GUI front end to restore, these
> directories appear, though there is nothing underneath them. This is a
> problem because the novice user (we have a lot of them) will think that these
> directories have been backed up.

What's not working here is:

1- ADSM client 3.1.0.3 have a flaw causing it not to honour an option set
with include/exclude \...\, so "exclude.dir ?:\...\*" will not work on an
client option set. You could try it on local dsm.opt, but...

2- "exclude.dir ?:\" will exclude nothing, because ADSM is expecting a
directory name and it looks like it doesn't consider '\' a dirname. You
could try "exclude.dir ?:\*", this would exclude every dir on every drive
but *not* file on the '\' dir. Try something like this:

exclude.file ?:\...\*
exclude.dir  ?:\*

3- Now for the drawback: AFAIK, exclude.dir takes precedence over all other
include exclude directives. This means that if I say:

exclude.dir c:\*
include.file c:\mydir\...\*

The include will yeld nothig at all, since all directories on my C: drive
were excluded from search.

Now, if there only was an include.dir...

>    Another question: If NT or Win 95 Clients create a shortcut in d:\backup
> to other document directories, will the contents of these directories be
> backed up? (Is there an equivalent of followsymboliclink for Windows NT?)

I think the windowsNT/95 shortcut is not similar to a symbolic link on UNIX.
A shortcut is a plain file which happens to have information regarding
another file.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,