ADSM-L

ADSM-L and newgroups

1998-07-01 16:38:37
Subject: ADSM-L and newgroups
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:38:37 EDT
This issue has taken up a lot of space on the list and I would like to
put it to rest once and for all.

I started this list a number of years ago because I, like all of you,
was struggling with ADSM and its concepts.  I figured that if we could
share our experiences and ideas, it would help all of us.  At the time,
of course, I had no idea how much the list would grow or how vital it would
become to so many.  Although I don't work with ADSM much anymore, I have
continued to run the list simply because all of you seem to find it of
value.  If a time comes when ADSM-L is nolonger needed, then it would
go away.

I, personally, have a strong dislike for news readers and rarely use one.
Call me a dinasour, but I don't even read my e-mail via a PC.  (I've never
found a PC package that broke up my incoming mail the way I liked.)  I have
no desire to start a newsgroup for ADSM-L, particularly if it meant more
work for me.  The list and the resources it uses are provided by Marist as
a service to the Internet community.  Neither Marist nor myself are compensated
in anyway for this service.  I mention this only because I know some people
assume that IBM, AOL or some other for-profit organization pays for it.

As has already been mentioned, there are various methods of
getting the ADSM-L postings other than direct e-mail (digest, web, etc.).
The logs are also available via anonymous FTP, if you are so inclined.
Newsgroups have inherent problems which have also been mentioned.  The fact
that ADSM-L is a private LISTSERV list has ensured that we have remained
spam-free, which cannot be said of many other lists.

My personal feelings aside, there are a number of news feeds that subscribe
to ADSM-L.  These are one-sided, read/only feeds, but I assume they work.
These feeds subscribe to the list just like everyone else, so there is little
I can do to prevent them from joining.  However, they are not associated with
Marist and I'm not responsible for any problems they may have.  The drawback
of using them is that you cannot post to the list.  If all you want to do
is lurk, however, then they work fine.

It is, of course, still a free Internet and I certainly do not have sole
control over the ADSM discussion.  If someone wants to dedicate the time and
space to running an ADSM newsgroup, they are certainly free to do so.  Let
people vote with their subscriptions.  If the majority prefer the newsgroup
approach, then ADSM-L will no longer be necessary.

In the meantime, let's not take up anymore list time with this discussion.
ADSM-L will not become a newsgroup.  Should someone start one up, they
are free to announce it on the list.

Martha McConaghy - ADSM list owner

PS: Bob Booth - No one has prevented UIUC from resubscribing your news feed
    to the list.  However, its up to you to do it, not me.  At the first sign
    of trouble, it will get bounced again, just like anyone else.