ADSM-L

Re: -Re: ADSM newsgroup

1998-07-01 03:25:43
Subject: Re: -Re: ADSM newsgroup
From: Thierry ITTY <thierry.itty AT BESANCON DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 03:25:43 -0400
A 09:08 01/07/1998 +0400, vous avez écrit :
>Ok. Now I see that a clear majority of you don't like the idea of newsgroup
>because of:
>   Spam threat
>   No access to news server

I'd add from my own experience that a newsgroup is much less interesting
than a mailing list for a community such as ours which groups people in a
very narrow domain. If you don't have a problem at a moment, it's often
unlikely that you would connect to the news group, so you won't be able to
answer to messages even if you could do it in a second. And if you don't
connect frequently, you may miss messages which can be of interest a little
later, or answer a question you kept aside.

>I'm currently investigating the possibilities to run a "closed" newsgroup.
>By "closed" I mean completely closed for both posting and reading.
>Authentication can be your choice: USERID:PASSWORD or digital ID from
>VeriSign for instance. For those of you who don't have a news access I'm
>going to make it available via HTTP.

I'm not really sure I can gain access to a VeriSign account :-(
Mes idees n'engagent que moi (vieux proverbe du Net)

Thierry ITTY
eMail : Thierry.Itty AT Besancon DOT org               FRANCE