ADSM-L

ADSM v3 Restore Performance.

1998-06-30 03:33:17
Subject: ADSM v3 Restore Performance.
From: "Shafiee A. Jalil" <Md-Norshafiee.B.Abd-Jalil AT OPENMAIL.FIC323.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:33:17 +0800
All,

Server:
ADSM v3
AIX 4.2.1
IBM R40

Clients:
NT
AIX
(both compression off)

We aren't getting the restore performance on our NT boxes. The
performace on our AIX machines are okay though. The IBM client is an
SP2 whereas the NT client is an HP Netserver with a Pentium Pro processor.

We are on a 100BaseT network and these are our restore timings for the
NT and AIX clients.

The Network Transfer Rate:
AIX:8MB/s
NT:6-7MB/s

The Aggregate Data Transfer Rate:
AIX: 1.2 MB/s
NT: 02.-03. MB/s

Why is there such a big difference between the NT and AIX boxes for our
Aggregate Data Transfer rate even though there is no big difference
between the Network Transfer Rate for the two machines? We also notice
that during restores, the CPU utilisation on the NT boxes are about
80-90% whereas on the SP there is hardly a blip.  (Both of these
clients have compression turned off).

So could the system I/O and CPU play an important point in restore
speed? Or is there some configuration settings that we need to set?

Regards,
Shafiee.