ADSM-L

Need to Shrink Storage Pool

1998-06-27 14:21:25
Subject: Need to Shrink Storage Pool
From: Ken Rackow <Ken_Rackow AT EM.FCNBD DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 13:21:25 -0500
     Over the past couple of years, I have done an extraordinarily poor job
     of managing my ADSM storage pool.  The result of this neglect has been
     to create a situation in which backup files are scattered over a truly
     HUGE number of cartridges.  For example, I recently ran SHOW
     VOLUMEUSAGE against one 20GB node and the output indicated that this
     node was currently using more than 300 volumes.  The entire storage
     pool, which is intended to be a backup for approximately 250GB, is
     composed of nearly 8000 volumes.

     Because of the potential impact of this on the restore of a large file
     space, backed up over years, I have to try to get this situation under
     control immediately.  In answer to a related post to this list, it was
     suggested that I could use MOVE DATA to force a reclamation to reduce
     the number of volumes needed to restore a node.  Although I have
     looked at the MVS Admin Guide and the MVS Reference, I have not been
     able to figure out how to use this command in my situation.  Also, is
     there a way to change the reclamation thresholds for the tape pool to
     force ADSM to work on this full time and for as long as it takes?

     Is there anyone that can help me with this?  I'm looking for very
     specific instructions on how to use MOVE DATA or any other
     administrative command or approach to reduce the number of volumes I
     would need to restore a file space, and in general to reduce the size
     of the entire pool.  Obviously, since we're talking about production
     data, any approach involving the deletion of existing file spaces
     would be unacceptable. Ideally, I'd like to try this against one node,
     to see how it works.  I appreciate that this will require a large
     amount of system resources, including CPU and tape, and might be a
     painful, time-consuming process.  Any help I can get here would be
     greatly appreciated.

     My MVS server is at version 3, release 1, level 1.2

     My clients are mostly at version 3

     Thanks,

     Ken Rackow