ADSM-L

Re: ibm 7337 tape drive element #s??

1998-06-26 23:00:55
Subject: Re: ibm 7337 tape drive element #s??
From: Jennifer Davis <jedavis AT DFW DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 22:00:55 -0500
Yu,

The piblication that you are using is incorrect. I have cabled and
configured this drive "7 ways to Sunday" and the element numbers are
definately NOT 15 & 16.

The element numbers are 116 and 117.

Yes, you can daisy chain this device from a 7331 (another specialty :-).
However, depending on how you do this, you could be diminishing you
throughput --> even with a Fast/Wide adapter.

Below I have an included, an informal, but quite extensive document on this
device. It is approached from the AIX perspective, but there are ADSM
references where appropriate. Possibly it will be of use to you.

Best Regards,

Jennifer

(SEE DOCUMENT AT END OF ORIGINAL QUESTION)

At 07:00 PM 6/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i daisy chained our 7331 behind a 7337-305 dlt library, which my sales
>rep. told me i couldn't do that but some one from ibm said would be a
>valid configuration. although it might not be a recommended thing to do.
>it looks like it's gonna work 'cause my host computer is talking to
>both libs right now. anyway i got this when i tried a define drive in
>adsm:
>

>adsm> define drive dlt-library dltdrive1 device=/dev/mt3 element=16
>ANR8366E DEFINE DRIVE: Invalid value for ELEMENT parameter. ANS5102I
>Return code 3.
>

>15 same thing. don't know what's going on. the 7337 docs specifically say
>that drive a is element 15 and drive b 16. anyone out there got this one
>before? i'm running v2 here. going up soon i guess.
>

>thanks.
>

>yu chen
>

>-- The Lost Patrol. Level 30~36, HP 800, AC -2. The Highway Patrol of
>   The Random Road, They Keep The Peace, They Eat Donuts.    -TRR '97

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 7337 BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK.........
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 7337 BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK.........

WHAT IS A 3447 AND WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?

The 3447 is a single ended attached unit for attachment to Windows NT
 hosts. The tape drive port(s) are clearly marked with a yellow tag
 that indicates "SCSI <> SE".

The 7337 is a differentially attached unit for attachment to RISC/6000
 hosts. The tape drive port (s) are clearly marked with a yellow tag
 that indicates "SCSI <> DIFF".

The 7337 and the 3447 are essentially the same drive unit with different
 attachment methods.

For this reason, if a customer receives a "new" drive straight out
of the box and the library display shows that it is set to 3447 AND
has single ended ports --> changing the drive type in the Setup Menu
will not be enough (like you can do with a 3570). The customer should
contact their Point of Sale and indicate that they received a model
for Windows NT attachment rather than RISC/6000 attachment.

However, if the unit has differential drives but the display shows
  that it is a 3447, simply enter the Set Up menu and access the
  "Inquiry" prompt and select 7337. For more information on how
   to enter and use the Set Up menu, see : "HOW DO I GET INTO AND USE THE
   SETUP MENU?"

WHAT'S THIS KEY FOR?

This tape unit as a key switch that affects the control of the library
 door and the robot movement.

Key Set to 3 O'clock:
    Front Door Locked
    Robotic Enabled
    Operator Panel Disabled

Key Set to 9 O'clock":
    Front Door Unlocked
    Robotics Disabled
    Operator Panel Enabled

Key Set to 12 O'clock:
    Front Door Locked
    Robotics Enabled
    Operator Panel Enabled

* Hint: If you can not get the key to turn, release the door slightly
        and try again.

WHAT DRIVERS DOES IT USE?

For AIX (OS commands only):
   Tape Drive(s) -->
    Uses the SCSD driver contained in the devices.scsi.tape package

   Robot -->
    Uses the Atape Driver. Versions 4.1.0.0 and later
    This driver should be shipped with the unit.

For ADSM:

   Tape drive and Library are configured via the ADMS devices drivers
available as        a part of the ADSM server code. For details on
configuring the drive for ADSM,    see previous LIST SERV posting from
Craig Bell of ADSM Development.

HOW DO I CABLE THE SINGLE DRIVE MODEL?

  Use the appropriate Adapter to 1st Device SCSI cable from the host
   adapter card into one of the Library Controller's (robot) two ports.
   The port(s) for the Library Controller are the rightmost pair of ports
   when facing the rear of the drive.

 Use the appropriate Device to Device SCSI cable from the second port
   of the Library Controller into one of the two tape drive ports.

 Place a terminator into the second tape drive port.

 There is no "In" or "Out" ports. Therefore, you may reverse the above.
 EX: host to tape drive port --> tape drive port to Library Controller
     --> terminator in the second Library Controller Port.

HOW DO I CABLE THE DUAL DRIVE MODEL?

  Use the appropriate Adapter to 1st Device SCSI cable from the host
   adapter card into one of the Library Controller's (robot) two ports.
   The port(s) for the Library Controller are the rightmost pair of ports
   when facing the rear of the drive.

  Use the appropriate Device to Device SCSI cable from the second port
   of the Library Controller into one of the two tape drive ports of one
   of the two tape drives.

 Use the appropriate Device to Device SCSI cable from the second port
   of the first tape drive to one of the two ports of the second tape
   drive.

 Place a terminator into the second port of the second tape drive.

 There is no "In" or "Out" ports. Therefore, you may alter the above
  in any desired fashion to alleviate cable stress provided that the is
  a terminator at either the Library Controller or the leftmost tape
  drive.

*Note: IBM now offers a SCSI-2 Differential cable with smaller connectors
specifically for this drive.

HOW DO I SET THE SCSI ADDRESSES AND WHAT ARE THE DEFAULTS?

  When the 7337 unit is shipped, the default SCSI addresses are as
   follows:

   Library Controller --> 6
   Tape Drive 1 (or drive in single drive unit) --> 4
   Tape Drive 2 --> 5

   To change the SCSI address defaults,

   The Tape Drives may be changed by using the "Push Button" at the rear
   of the drive or through the Set Up menu.

   The Library Controller may only be changed through the Set Up menu.

   For information on how to manipulate the Set Up menu, see
   "HOW DO I GET INTO AND USE THE SETUP MENU?".

WHAT ARE THE LIBRARY MODES OF OPERATION?

   Automatic (Sequential) --> Used to span autoload tapes.
                              Use this mode with Sysback/6000
                              Use this mode to load the next tape
                                after issuing tctl -f /dev/rmt# offline

                              *There is NOT an "autoload" option from
                               the device driver. Therefore, tar, dd
                               cpio, etc will not span tapes.*

   Automatic Loop  --> Use this mode with care. This mode will act
                         in the same manner as Automatic except that
                         when the last tape in the magazine is ejected,
                         it will automatically reload the 1st tape in
                         in the magazine and potentially overwrite data.

   Random  --> Use this mode with tapeutil of to access the smc device.
               The Set Up menu options for this is "AUTOLOAD = OFF"

HOW DO I GET THE smc DEVICE?

   The drive must be in Random Mode when the device is configured
     in order to get the /dev/smc device.

WHAT IS THE BEST BLOCK SIZE/BUFFER SIZE?

   The optimum block size is 262114 (aka 256kbytes). Variable length
     of 0 is also useful when coupled with the appropriate buffer
     flags.

   In order to achieve the best performance, you MUST use the below
     buffer flags added to you favorite backup command:

   mksysb               -b512
   savevg               -b512
   backup               -b512
   tar                  -N512
   cpio                 -C512
   dd                   bs=512b OR ibs=512b and obs=512b
                        bs=256k OR ibs=256k and obs=256k
   Sysback/6000         -b256

*For ADSM, to achieve this blocking, add the following to your dsmserv.opt
file:

USELARGETAPEBLOCKS YES

Use this option with care for once you have written tapes using this
option, they MUST be read using this option.

WHAT ARE THE APPLICABLE DENSITY SETTINGS AND WHAT IS DENSITY OVERRIDE?

 Where compression is allowed, it is a 2:1 ratio.

 Denisty Setting  Density   Tape Supported     Capacity
 23                2.6 GB     DLT III           2.6GB No Compression
 24               6.0 GB     DLT III           6.0GB No Compression
 25              10.0 GB     DLT III           10.0 / 20.0
 25              15.0 GB     DLT IIxt          15.0 / 30.0
 26              20.0 GB     DLT IV            20.0 / 40.0
 26              35.0 GB     DLT IV            35.0 / 75.0

 Density Override Off --> Density selected by via Denisty Settings
 Density Override On  --> Density selected manally

* For ADSM, simply determine your tape capacity and define it appropriately
in the FORMAT paramter of the DEFINE DEVCLASS command.

WHAT IS THE COMPRESSION RATIO?

 The compression ratio is 2:1.

(When using hardware compression)

HOW DOES THE VPD LOOK?

 #  lscfg -vl rmt#

 DEVICE            LOCATION          DESCRIPTION

  rmt1              X0-03-01-4,0      Differential SCSI DLT Tape Drive
                                      (35000 MB)

        Manufacturer................QUANTUM
        Machine Type and Model......DLT7000
        Device Specific.(Z1)........1734
        Serial Number...............JF727015
        Device Specific.(LI)........A0B00E24
        Part Number.................59H3581
        FRU Number..................59H3581
        EC Level....................E30278
        Device Specific.(Z0)........0180020283000138
        Device Specific.(Z3)........

 #  lscfg -vl smc0

    DEVICE            LOCATION          DESCRIPTION

  smc0              X0-03-01-6,0      IBM 7337 Tape Medium Changer

        Manufacturer................IBM
        Machine Type and Model......7337
        Serial Number.............../20/9712:40:
        Device Specific.(FW)........1.40

# tctl -f /dev/rmt# status

rmt1 Available X0-03-01-4,0 Differential SCSI DLT Tape Drive
attribute     value   description                       user_settable

mode          yes     Use DEVICE BUFFERS during writes  True
block_size    1048576 BLOCK size (0=variable length)    True
extfm         yes     Use EXTENDED file marks           True
ret           no      RETENSION on tape change or reset True
density_set_1 27      DENSITY setting #1                True
density_set_2 26      DENSITY setting #2                True
compress      yes     Use data COMPRESSION              True
size_in_mb    35000   Size in Megabytes                 False

# tctl -f /dev/smc0 status

smc0 Available X0-03-01-6,0 IBM 7337 Tape Medium Changer
attribute      value    description        user_settable

retain_reserve no       Retain Reservation False
devtype        7337     Device Type        False
#

WHAT DO THE OPERATOR PANEL BUTTONS DO?

  Up/Down Arrows (the leftmost button)  --> Menu Key
  Down Arrow   (middle button) --> Cycle Key
  Left Arrow (rightmost button) --> Select / Enter Key

WHAT DOES THE MENU BUTTON DO FROM ONLINE MODE?

 Pressing the MENU key will yield the following menu:

  Change Mode
  Move Cartridge
  DLT Diagnostics
  Confidence Tests
  Remote Diagnostics
  Drvlduld
  Comm Test
  Maintenance Menu

WHAT ARE THE DEFAULTS FOR THE SETUP MENU?

  SCSI ID = 6
  SCSI Parity = ON
  Inquiry = IBM 7337
  3 of 9 Check = ON
  Auto Inv-MC = OFF
  Auto Inv=Pwr = PFF
  Scroll Menu = ON
  Autoloader = OFF
  Exit

HOW DO I GET INTO AND USE THE SETUP MENU?

  The Set Up Menu may be access by one of the following methods:

  1) Power Cycle the Unit and press any key before the drive comes
      "Online".

  2) Press the "Reset" button on the back of the unit next the the
      SCSI connection for the library controller. Then press any key
      before the drive comes "Online".

  3) Simultaneously press all three keys next to the Operator Panel
      for 6 seconds. Then release and press any key before the drive
      comes "Online".

At each prompt, make your selection.

To bypass the prompt and go to the next prompt --> Press MENU Key
To view more options or place arrow next to choice --> Press CYCLE Key.
To confirm your selection --> Press SELECT key.

HOW DO I MANUALLY LOAD A TAPE?

1) Open the Library Door

2) Remove the Magazine

3) Gently Move the Robot to the left

4) Ensure that the Tape Drive is Open --> If not,
     Press the Unload Button on the DLT7000 (top right of drive)
     Open the handle

5) Insert the Tape into the Drive

6) Push the Handle Closed

7) Replace the Magazine

8) Close and Lock the Library Door

HOW DO I MOVE A CARTRIDGE WITHIN THE LIBRARY FROM THE OPERATOR PANEL?

*You must be in "Diagnostic Offline" mode before executing these steps.

1) Enter the Operator Panel Menu

2) Select MOVE CARTRIDGE

3) At SELECT SOURCE, use the CYCLE key to increment the slot address
    choice

4) Use the SELECT key to confirm the slot address choice

5) At SELECT DEST, use the CYCLE key to choose STORAGE CELL or DRIVE

6) Use the SELECT key to confirm the choice

MAY I HAVE A BAR CODE READER PLEASE?

 Optionally, the 7337 may come equipped with a Bar Code reader that
    recognizes ANSI standard code 39 labels.

 With a bar code reader, a complete cartridge inventory may take as long
   as 5 minutes.

WHEN WOULD I USE THE "OFFLINE DIAGNOSTICS" MODE?

1) When a cartridge will be moved via the Operator Panel

2) To activate the rs232 port for perform remote diagnostics.

YOU MEAN THAT I CAN RS232 ATTACH A CONSOLE TO THIS?

Service personnell can use the rs232 port to provide serial attachment
  of a terminal to the 7337 Library Controller in order to perform
  diagnostic routines and access status information.

If may also be used to load Tape Library Microcode.

HOW DO I LOAD MICROCODE?

1) Place the micrcode installable file in a directory on the RISC/6000
   if you have downloaded it from the internet. Otherwise, place the
   disktte into the floppy drive.

2) diag

3) Press Enter

4) Choose:
     IBM Tape Drive Service Aids

5) Choose:
     Microcode load

6) Select the smc device

7) Enter the directory path and file name at:
      Enter Filename:

   *If the microcode is on diskette, leave the default of /dev/rfd0*

8)  F7 to commit and start the process.

 OR

tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 ucode /dev/rfd0
tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 ucode /etc/microcode/filename

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE I CLEANED THE DRIVE?

1) diag

2) Press Enter

3) Choose:
  Task Selection(Diagnostics, Advanced Diagnostics, Service Aids, etc.)

4) Choose:
      SCSD Tape Drive Service Aids

5) Select device (ex: rmt1)

6) Choose:
     Display Time Since Drive Was Last Cleaned

You will see a message like:

DISPLAY TIME SINCE THE DRIVE WAS LAST CLEANED
802336
FOR rmt1 IN LOCATION X0-03-01-4,0

Usage time since the drive was last cleaned: 506.38 hours.
Device rmt1 does NOT need cleaning at this time.

To continue, press Enter.

**Note: It is not always accurate --> See above, drive last cleaned
        506.38 hours ago but doesn't need cleaning. :-)**

HOW TO USE TAPEUTIL WITH THIS DRIVE?

Drive layout is as follows:

    10   11   12   13   14   15           116  117

0  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Slot Addresses 0 - 9 are in the removable magazine
Slot Addresses 10 - 15 are fixed slots behind the removable magazine
Address 116 is the tape drive unit
Address 117 is the second tape drive unit (where applicable)
Address 132 is the robot

Move tape from 1 (slot) to 116 (drive) / LOAD TAPE:

# tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 move -s 1 -d 116
"Moving medium: source 1, destination 116..."

Move tape from 116 (drive) to 1 (slot) / UNLOAD TAPE:

# tapeutil -f /dev/rmt1 unload
"Unloading tape..."

# tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 move -s 116 -d 1
"Moving medium: source 116, destination 1..."

Move a tape from 1 (slot) to 5 (slot):

# tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 move -s 1 -d 5
"Moving medium: source 1, destination 5..."

Take an inventory:

# tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 inventory

Example Output:

Reading element status...

Robot Address 132
  Robot State .................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................

Drive Address 116
  Drive State .................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Same Bus as Medium Changer ..... Yes
  SCSI Bus Address Vaild ......... No
  Logical Unit Number Valid ...... No
  Volume Tag .....................

Slot Address 0
  Slot State ..................... Abnormal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 8300
  Media Present .................. Yes
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................

Slot Address 1
  Slot State ..................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................
Slot Address 2
  Slot State ..................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................

Slot Address 3
  Slot State ..................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................

Slot Address 4
  Slot State ..................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................

Slot Address 5
  Slot State ..................... Abnormal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 8300
  Media Present .................. Yes
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
  Source Element Address Valid ... No
  Media Inverted ................. No
  Volume Tag .....................

Slot Address 6
  Slot State ..................... Normal
  ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
  Media Present .................. No
  Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes

*Note: Do not let the "ABNORMAL" state mislead you. This changes as
tapes are moved. You will see "Abnormal" state when media is loaded
into a slot or drive and "Normal" when it is empty. This will only
occur when the unit does not have the optional bar code reader installed.

For example:

Library has tapes in slots 0 and 1 only.

Slot 0 and 1 will say "Abnormal".

I move the tape from 1 to 5. Now slot 1 will say "Normal" and slot 5
  will say "Abnormal".

I then move the tape from 5 back to 1. Now slot 5 will say "Normal"
  and slot 1 will say "Abnormal".

The same will occur when media is placed in the drive (116).

However, if you have the optional bar code reader installed, you the
VOLSER number will be displayed rather than "Normal" or "Abnormal".