ADSM-L

Re: offsite storage retension

1998-06-24 10:31:10
Subject: Re: offsite storage retension
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:31:10 -0400
Steve,
There is no such thing as a "retension period" for Copy pool tapes - tapes
only expire when the data on them expires.

The backup versions of data on a copy pool tape will have a mixture of life
spans, based on the management class requirements for the original data
files.  Some backup versions may get expired  based on the number of
versions in the management class, some backup versions may get expired based
on the number of days specified in the management class.  Only data base
backup tapes have a life span just based on days.

Tapes can go into VAULTRETRIEVE status only when all the data on the tape
has expired, or when a RECLAIM is done on them, which creates a new copy
onsite that gets moved to the vault.

Are you thinking of the "reusedelay" parm set for the storage pool?
Or could your RECLAIMS be combining data and causing tapes to return from
the vault?

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert