ADSM-L

Re: Using separate tape drives for stgpools.

1998-06-23 17:36:26
Subject: Re: Using separate tape drives for stgpools.
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:36:26 -0400
We have an STK 9710 with 5 DLT drives and 3 3490 drives in it.
The way that works is to create two separate LIBRARY definitions.
The fact that they are within the same physical box doesn't bother ADSM at
all.

So you create 1 library, and define drives to it, then create another
library and define drives to it.

And you define two devclasses, one pointing to each library, and point your
COPY pool at whichever one you want.

And it works fine.  So you could separate your drives that way if you are
trying to guarantee that the copy pool drives are never used for primary
tapes, etc.  The only drawback is that then you have to check in tapes
separately to each library.

So the answer is it will work, but I think Dwight's solution of just setting
appropriate mount limits is better!

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert