ADSM-L

Password Generate question

1998-06-21 21:35:40
Subject: Password Generate question
From: "Shafiee A. Jalil" <Md-Norshafiee.B.Abd-Jalil AT OPENMAIL.FIC323.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:35:40 +0800
Hi Everyone,,

Server:
ADSM v3
AIX 4.2.1
IBM R40

Clients:
(all v3)
NT
AIX
HP

We had a problem with Password Generate on one of our NT nodes when
it's password expired . When we tried to open a DSM  GUI client, it
kept prompting us for a password with a message saying that our
password had expired. However, the scheduled backups were OK that night.

We than updated the password to enable us to use the DSM GUI client.
After this change, we were able to use the GUI. But, the scheduled
backups failed with a message saying that the password was incorrect.

Restarting the Scheduler service didn't work. We had to remove the
Scheduler and reinstall it as a service.

From the v3 manual, it states that if you use Password Generate, than a
random password will be generated automatically everytime the password
expires. It says that this is applicable to both the scheduler and the
GUI client because in v2, this was only valid for the scheduler not the
GUI client.

So, what happened in our case? The GUI client should have used the
Password Generate option (because we are using the v3 client) but it
appears that it didn't. Only the Scheduler used the Password Generate
which was probably why it still worked until we updated the password.

The Big Question: Does this mean that we have to go through the whole
exercise everytime the password expires on a client? Imagine what this
would mean to a site with hundreds or thousands of clients.

Shafiee.