ADSM-L

HelpDesk Restores

2015-10-04 17:57:46
Subject: HelpDesk Restores
From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 6/12/98 3:58PM
First, the problem, I believe, is that you are trying to use /*/* to say "any
file in any directory under the directory CLIENT.  As close as I can tell,
there is no way to do this.   The standard wildcard for 'any directory' is
/.../ - but it is only supported on exclude/include statements.  As close as
I can see, the support is only for a specific file, or all files in a
directory, or some subset using wildcards for file name matches.

The only way I think you could do this is to set up something close to the
last - in the GUI give it a directory of "*", and try to get it match all
files, and not be specific on the "client" directory.  This sounds very
similar to your final example (f:\*\*) - perhaps this is how you set this up.

You didn't say which level of the client you are using..... I have tried to
do some restores across platforms with the V3 client, but I haven't gotten it
to work either.  These were with access rights that did work under V2, so
they should have been able to do it, but they couldn't.  Unfortunately, I was
trying to solve a different problem at the time, and worked around the
problem, and never got back to this.... could be a real bug here.

As a side note, I'm not completely sure that what you're trying to do will be
all that you want if it does work - if I understand NT correctly, the file
could be restored, but the access rights may not be correct.  Perhaps someone
else can comment.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    6/12/98 3:58 PM

I am trying to set up an environment so that my HelpDesk can restore files
from different NT file servers. I have registered a node helpdesk and given
access to our server called FS020. Q access on FS020 gives:
Type        Node              User      Path
Backup   HELPDESK    *           G:\CLIENT\*\*
Backup   HELPDESK    *           G:\CLIENT\*\*
Backup   HELPDESK    *           F:\CLIENT\*\*
Backup   HELPDESK    *           F:\*\*

When I start a GUI session with node helpdesk. Utilities Access another
user.. fs020.
I get the directory structure but cannot drill down any further to select a
 file to restore.
WHY?????