ADSM-L

Re: Management Classes and Client Nodes

1998-06-12 13:39:12
Subject: Re: Management Classes and Client Nodes
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:39:12 -0400
In <01bd961b$3c8da0c0$43138581 AT ravishan1.wesleyan DOT edu>, on 06/12/98
   at 12:00 PM, Ganesan Ravishanker <ravishan AT WESLEYAN DOT EDU> said:

>Hi All

>    I am trying to accomplish the following:

>    o I want to restrict desktops to be able to backup ONLY files in
>d:\backup and its subdirectories and have ONLY two copies of each file. I
>do not want the clients to be able to backup anything else nor do I want
>them to be able to keep more than two copies of a file. I would like to
>control all these at the server end, otherwise sophisticated users will
>modify the files on the client side (dsm.opt or dsm.sys) to bypass these
>restrictions.

>    o So, I defined a management class called DESKTOP  under the STANDARD
>policy domain. This defines two copies of every file as opposed to 7 copies
>defined in the STANDARD management class.

>    o I define a client option set in which has three client options, with
>force set to yes:

>       INCLEXCL,0:   inclexcl exclude ?:\...\*
>       INCLEXCL,1:   inclexcl include d:\backup
>       SUBDIR,0:  yes

>    and I use this client option set in the client node definition for a
>client ABCD.

>    o I do not see any way I can force the server to use DESKTOP management
>class for client node ABCD. As a result it is still using the STANDARD
>management class.

>    Any help is very much appreciated.

>Ravi

>-<Attachment #1, unnamed (2736 bytes), text/html 7bit>-

You need to make DESKTOP the default management class in the
policyset and then activate the policyset.

Issue these commands from a dsmadmc session --

assign defmgmtclass  standard standard desktop
activate policyset standard standard

NOTE - the 3103 clients have a bug which causes statements in an options set
with '/...' to not be honored.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab