ADSM-L

Re: 3995 Optical Library

1998-06-11 17:39:49
Subject: Re: 3995 Optical Library
From: "Whitehead, Hilary" <HWhitehead AT CAISO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:39:49 -0700
Dear Bill,

The reason I ask is we are having trouble with the 3995 (C64) in Roll
Forward mode.  I wrote this up to the newsgroup in another memo so
forgive me if I am repeating myself.  As you probably know, when your
recovery log reaches the trigger that has been set for roll forward, a
database backup is prompted.  When complete, the recovery log size is
again reduced.

My database is backing up to optical platters on the 3995.  The event
that I have encountered is that, despite the fact that a dbbackup
supposedly has priority over any other ADSM process, if I have all
drives of the 3995 occupied doing other (ADSM) things when a dbbackup is
triggered, none of these processes suspend to give my dbbackup a drive
to perform its operation.

When I first called support, they said that the unit was not functioning
per ADSM Specification but they recanted and said that the specification
for this action, though described as a function of a "library" in
everything I've ever seen, is only a spec for a TAPE library and not an
OPTICAL library.

I don't buy this.  Have you ever seen this?

Thanks,

Hilary Whitehead
IBM Global Services