ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Paradigm

1998-06-11 16:14:50
Subject: Re: ADSM Paradigm
From: Cindy Cannam <CCannam AT GENAM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:14:50 -0500
This is always a difficult concept to get people to understand, especially
if they've only worked in a client/server world. Previous products for
client/server were limited to what they could perform via slow SCSI
connections to equally slow tape devices which were, at best, unreliable.

Yes, you do have one copy of the data residing on the host machine, but
with the use of copypools (very highly recommended), migration pools
(equally important for storage management), and offsite copies (the
ever-popular disaster recovery scenarios), the chances of losing ALL copies
all at the same time would probably be due to total nuclear holocaust ---
and in that instance, who cares anyway?

Make certain your customers understand that any one time, their files
reside in numbers of places so in the event of failure of one media type
(dasd, for instance), the tape copies are available for restore of data.
And in the event that tape media fails, dasd media is available. And if for
some reason everything in your main facility takes a quick and immediate
dive, your offsite copies are available for restores. They are covered far
more reasonably and cost-effectively that they would be with the older
methods of file backup.

Hope this helps.

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management
GENAM/St. Louis, MO/USA
ccannam AT genam DOT com

Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT TCE DOT COM> on 06/11/98 02:06:16 PM