ADSM-L

Re: setting up adsmserver to backup # of filesystems from 60 clie nts

1998-06-11 14:00:22
Subject: Re: setting up adsmserver to backup # of filesystems from 60 clie nts
From: "Whitehead, Hilary" <HWhitehead AT CAISO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:00:22 -0700
Madhu,

What you are defining when you define your domain includes (and is
limited to) the backup rentention grace period and the archive retention
grace period.  What this means is, if a file is assigned to a management
class (which gives it all sorts of rules like how long to keep, etc) and
the management class is deleted, your domain tells the server how long
to keep these files after it is no longer associated to a "rule list"
(management class).  Unless you are going to get your server up and
running and THEN write your plan (define policies and all that), you
will probably be fine with only one management class.  After that, it
gets a little tricker.  You're going to have to decide which clients
have what is common and set up policy groups accordingly.  The
administrators guide, which I believe you can download, has a pretty
good description of what controls what with regard to policies.  I
suggest doing some serious planning before implementing, because your
policy sets can seriously impact how much storage space is used (and
wasted).  Get to know exactly what you can restore from ADSM (i.e., you
can't rebuild an entire NT OS, so there's no sense in having as many
copies of OS files as, say, user data files).

With regard to your dlt, you'll have to define the whole unit as a
library and the drive as a drive.  You need to delete the drive from the
AIX (command line or smit) before you define to ADSM since the software
expects to own the device exclusively.  There's a panel under devices
"ADSM Devices", or something like that.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the quick start guide, you'll be
good to go!

Hope this helps.

Hilary Whitehead
IBM Global Services