ADSM-L

Re: 9710 stuck tapes

1998-06-04 11:09:46
Subject: Re: 9710 stuck tapes
From: Shira Hayun <shira AT TLV.IEC.CO DOT IL>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:09:46 +0300
Sam Mauro wrote:

> Hello all,
> Does anyone know what the proper procedure is when removing a 'stranded'
> tape out of a 9710 robot.
> The scenario is a tape is still in a drive, ADSM does not know about it, so
> the tape must be manually
> ejected. After removing and placing back in one of the columns, next time it
> is referenced, ADSM can
> not locate it.
> I know running an audit will correct this, but that takes 2 or more hours.
> Is there a better, quicker way of
> handling this situation? Thanks in advance.
>
> Sam Mauro
> Sr. Systems Programmer
> Quaker State Corporation

Hi,

Your problem is that ADSM has a table of all tapes in the library and
their slots, and it tracks them according to this table. I assume that
the situation is that you putted your tape in a random free slot. that
is - when ADSM tries to reach the tape the next time, it will not find
it where ADSM thinks it should be.

Sure - an audit library will solve it. But if u r looking for a shorter
way, try one of these two alternatives:

1. The table is being held in the config file. You can look for this
tape in the file, see where ADSM acpects it to be, and put it back to
that specific slot.

or

2. You can issue the command "checkout libv... checkl=n" and then a
checkin for this volume only. Than ADSM will tell you exactly where 2
put it.

Regards,
Shira