ADSM-L

Re: ADSM vs Legato

1998-06-03 15:21:37
Subject: Re: ADSM vs Legato
From: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:21:37 -0600
Laz and others make good points about Networker, and Silos.

Networker has probably the most expansive device and software platform
support of the leading Storage Management products.

If you are looking to replace ADSM (a unique paradigm) with something
else, look at other products in addition to Legato.  They have had a
notoriously poor user/product support rep and as Greg mentioned,
licensing can become a nightmare - heaven forbid your server loses track
of the date momentarily, you'll lose your licenses.

GEMS sounds great but I haven't experienced it.  Even now, I am
finishing a white paper review of Omniback II, ADSM, Networker,
Alexandria, and Netbackup.  Networker has many strengths, but I don't
think it is best of breed for master/slave architectures.

For all the warts of Omniback II, checkout their integration with EMCs
Symetrix ICDA (SRDF and Timefinder).  Cool stuff.  Makes backup of large
DBs feasible.  Our largest, 2.3TB, takes 11 hours with 12 3590s on a Sun
E10K using Alexandria.  More hardware reduces the window, but something
like EMCs stuff makes life much much easier.

Just my thoughts...

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com
--
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to