ADSM-L

Re: ADSM vs Legato

1998-06-03 11:07:27
Subject: Re: ADSM vs Legato
From: John Groves <jmg AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:07:27 -0500
If the mainframe is using the silo, you will be running HSC on the mainframe
to control the silo.  If you have open systems silo clients, as Legato or ADSM
on open systems will be, you will need to run Library Station on the mainframe
as the library control server.  You cannot use ACSLS if a mainframe is sharing
the silo - ACSLS is the silo control server for open systems only
environments.

My understanding is that Legato has client-directly-to-tape capability, which
ADSM does not have.  However, if the mainframe is sharing the silo, then the
mainframe MUST be controlling the silo -- meaning even though legato clients
can talk to tape independent of the mainframe, they cannot get a tape mounted
independently of the mainframe.

Open Microsystems sells middleware (Enterprise DistribuTAPE - EDT) from ADSM
to ACSLS and Library Station, allowing very nice support of ADSM and STK
equipment.  EDT supports all manner of library sharing, as well as DRIVE
sharing among multiple ADSM servers, and access to remote drives and libraries
over either a network or SCSI multiplexers.  EDT runs on the open systems
platforms only (not MVS).

If anybody wants more information on EDT, email me privately.

Regards,
John Groves