ADSM-L

Multiple backup processes waiting for the same input tape...

1998-06-03 04:03:00
Subject: Multiple backup processes waiting for the same input tape...
From: "Verellen, Luc" <lverelle AT JANBE.JNJ DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:03:00 +0200
     Hello list,

     We daily run a backup of the primary storagepools in order to bring
     the copy storagepools offsite.
     As we are using only 3490 (2.4 GB) cartridges, this is a time
     consuming process (we have to backup +/- 50 GB).

     In order to speed up processing, we run multiple backup processes of
     the same storagepool by using the maxprocess=2 parameter.

     This indeed speeds up things, but it can still be improved as we
     noticed that the processes often are waiting for the same input tape.

     Is this normal?  How is the backup being organized ?  By input
     cartridge? By node ?  By Filespace?

     Best regards,  Luc.

     Luc Verellen
     Janssen Pharmaceutica