ADSM-L

Re: Problems restoring special files on AIX 4.2.1

2015-10-04 17:57:45
Subject: Re: Problems restoring special files on AIX 4.2.1
From: CATreptow AT equitable-of-iowa DOT com
To: Matthew_Emmerton AT AGORAINC DOT NET; ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi.  It looks like you're testing a disaster recovery
situation.  Right?  If so, should you be concerned with files
in the /dev directory?  I believe they are rebuilt everytime
the system is rebuilt, so if you reinstall, or recover from a
mksysb, you should have the /dev directory intact.

After any type of system failure (rendering the DASD semi-intact or
destroyed) the ADSM guide does say to reinstall the base OS.  So, /dev
shouldn't be a problem.

However, this is a special case.  The /dev/SRC entry was not part of the
BOS install; it's part of an additional package.  Thus, the problem still
is a problem.  If I do a full backup, and then the system crashed, then I
need to restore the system.  So, even if I reintstall the OS and ADSM, then
try and restore the backup that I have, ADSM will still try and create the
/dev/SRC special file and fail.

Regarding your question, are failures marked in the
dsmerror.log and/or dsmsched.log?

The /dev/SRC special file gets backed up properly; no errors are noted in
any files.  Only on the restore does it fail, and there is no logging on
the restore
aside from the console which displays:
"ANIxxxxx: Internal Server Error;  Contact your sales representative for
support" or something to that effect.

I know I'm not running the latest PTFs; this may be fixed in later
revisions.

--
Matthew Emmerton, System Administration
Matthew Emmerton, System Administration