ADSM-L

DRM - Volumes disappearing from VAULTR status

1998-06-02 15:11:24
Subject: DRM - Volumes disappearing from VAULTR status
From: "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:11:24 -0400
Does anyone know what process, besides MOVE or CHECKIN, can remove a DRM
volume from the inventory once it has gone to a status of VAULTR?
Recently I found 50 tapes that were no longer in the inventory, but were
still being stored in the vault.

We had been checking the status of our DRM tapes on a weekly basis,
moving the mountable volumes offsite and returning the volumes listed as
VAULTR.  We update the status of the returning volumes to a state of
ONSITER using the MOVE DRM command, which deletes them from the DRM
inventory, and then check them in as scratch or store them for later
use.  After I noticed the "lost tapes" I began making a daily list of
the tapes that go to a vault retrieve status.  By the time we do our
week end list for the courier several tapes are no longer listed when I
Q DRM.  In fact, they are not listed anywhere in the library inventory
just as if we had run a MOVE DRM.  (But we hadn't...the operators were
my first suspects)

Has anyone else seen this?  I am sure it must be caused by another
process that is running during the week, but I don't know which one
could have the same effect as the MOVE DRM command.

Debbie Weeks
University of South Florida
Information Technologies/Technical Support
********
*Debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU
*(813)974-6926*S/C 574-6926
Fax (813) 974-3054