ADSM-L

Re: very slow restore

1998-06-02 09:23:34
Subject: Re: very slow restore
From: Michael Hartmann <Michael_Hartmann AT TRINKAUS DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:23:34 +0100
Hello Carlos,

the long time you need just to view the restore information
on a particular directory is due to the restore protocol use by
version 2 server and clients. In version 2 the client asks
ADSM server for *all* files belonging to this node regardless
of the subdirectory and the files in it you have selected. Then
the server has to transmit this info on all the files to the client...
This is a very time consuming process.

I would highly recommend to update to OS/390 ADSM V3
and V3 clients. At version 3 there is is a modified
restore method implemented that the developpers call
"no query restore". For sure this will help you!

Regards
Michael Hartmann
Michael Hartmann
System development/DBA
Bankhaus Trinkaus & Burkhardt
Koenigsallee 21-23     40212 Duesseldorf    Germany
Phone: ++49 +211-910 2364
Email: michael_hartmann AT trinkaus DOT de
>        We have the following configuration:
>        We have the following configuration:
>                MVS server running Adsm v2.1.12
>                The backup media is mixed:
>                        manual 3480's
>                        tape library 3590
>                        3494 robotic
>                Aix clients running v2.1.06G
>        Our problem is that when asking the server to give us
>the database info for us to select the files to restore on a
>particular directory, it is taking hours (5-6hrs) to get this info.
>We cannot understand why this is happening. Has anyone had any idea
>why this is happening?
>
>*********************************
>  CARLOS E. SILESKY JIMENEZ
>         PH:(505) 277-7343
>    EMAIL: silesky AT unm DOT edu

                                         _____
 Der Austausch von Nachrichten mit Trinkaus & Burkhardt via E-Mail dient
ausschliesslich Informationszwecken. Rechtsgeschaeftliche Erklaerungen
duerfen ueber dieses Medium nicht ausgetauscht werden.

Correspondence with Trinkaus & Burkhardt via e-mail is only for information
purposes. This medium is not to be used for the exchange of legally-binding
communications.