ADSM-L

Automatic start/restart of dsmc/dsmserv - Solaris

1998-05-29 13:20:47
Subject: Automatic start/restart of dsmc/dsmserv - Solaris
From: Al Cheski <Alan_Cheski AT GULF DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 11:20:47 -0600
Howdy, I have implemented a new ADSM V3 Solaris server and found some nice
online manuals to read. In the UNIX backup-Archive Client manual on page
10, it shows how to start dsmc sched from inittab. There is a note there
that says starting it from /sbin/rc2.d/xxx is not possible. But, that is
how I currently do it...so why is it not possible? Also, if I change
dsm.sys or dsm.opt and want to restart dsmc sched to pick up the changes,
how do I do it from inittab, I don't think I can. Finally, the ADSM Server
Admin guide indicates that dsmserv can be started by using nohup dsmserv
-quiet &. I do this from an rc script so it starts ADSM at boot time. Does
anybody know the correct way to start/stop these processes at system
anybody know the correct way to start/stop these processes at system
boot/halt time? Also, I still have the problem where starting dsmc sched
from a shell and then doing ctrl-c or exiting the shell causes dsmc sched
to die...I have tried nohup, etc but can't prevent this from happening.
Anybody found a way around this fun little problem?

Al Cheski
Gulf Canada Resources