ADSM-L

Re: Improvement for Archive Function

1998-05-26 08:28:34
Subject: Re: Improvement for Archive Function
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:28:34 +0200
Hi Jerry,

Jerry Lawson schrieb:

> ---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes
> ---------------------------
> From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
> Date: 5/25/98 9:44AM
> To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
> *To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
> Subject: Improvement for Archive Function
> Gerhard -
>
> The issue of the cross platform restore is one that has been discussed here
> before - not just for archive, but for backup as well.  I assume that what
> you are asking for is a more pervasive cross platform restore  capability
> than what is available today - you can restore cross platform within Intel
> desktop platforms (NT, Win95, Win 3.1, OS/2) as long as the platform
> "understands" the file system in question.

Yes, I would like to restore a file archived on a Unix system to an INtel
desktop platform.

> As for access rights, I am somewhat curious.  It would seem to me that the
> major concern would be how ADSM would assign the rights if the owner of the
> file being restored was not defined exactly the same way on the target
> platform.  If he/she wasn't how should the rights be assigned?

I'm looking for a more general archiving system which allows to store data
for a longer time. If this time is longer than e..g 5 years the system on
which the file was archived would probably no longer exist. The users of the
archive system would have to identify themselves to the archiving system in
an adequate way. Using a security service like DCE or Kerberos could be a
solution.

> Jerry Lawson
> jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Bes regards