ADSM-L

Improvement for Archive Function

2015-10-04 17:58:04
Subject: Improvement for Archive Function
From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/25/98 9:44AM
The issue of the cross platform restore is one that has been discussed here
before - not just for archive, but for backup as well.  I assume that what
you are asking for is a more pervasive cross platform restore  capability
than what is available today - you can restore cross platform within Intel
desktop platforms (NT, Win95, Win 3.1, OS/2) as long as the platform
"understands" the file system in question.

As for access rights, I am somewhat curious.  It would seem to me that the
major concern would be how ADSM would assign the rights if the owner of the
file being restored was not defined exactly the same way on the target
platform.  If he/she wasn't how should the rights be assigned?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    5/25/98 9:44 AM

Hello,
we are starting to use the archive function of ADSM. There are 2 things
which our users don't like.
 - it is not possible to do a cross platform restore
 - access rights are tied to the machine which was used to archive the
   file
We would like to have a more general archive system where the access rights
are for a speicific user regardless of the system on which he works at the
moment. I know, this would require sort of a user registry on ADSM. Are
there any plans to improve ADSM in this direction?
Best regards
Gerhard
--
Gerhard Rentschler            email: