ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:58:04
ADSMers & IBM participants,

Please excuse any over-simplifications here, but I've just learned how to spell ADSM & I'm plowing through the V3.1 Admin Guide as fast as I can.

We've just purchased 2 of the Apr98 announced IBM Magstar MP 3570's (C1A) in a 3575 library.  I would like to use the compression on the tape drive, but I've got a product that does its own compression (OnDemand -- an API client), and it's better at it than a "gzip -9".  So, I have to set the drives to "compression=false" "compression=false" for this one product's archive needs.  Outside of this 1 application on this one AIX client, I also have the task of my enterprise backups (4 Unix servers for now, including the OnDemand box itself, sure to grow).  Now that I've been forced to turn off compression at the drive, I'm going to have to compress on the RS6K platform.  I really don't like this, because I would like to utilize my tape drives instead of my CPU's (private network in place -- no bandwidth problems).  We will likely consume bytes as reflected in the following ratio:
70% client backup: 30% OnDemand archival
Is there a user-exit that allows me to "chdev" the drives whenever I want to switch to 3570 compression?  If not, it's a suggestion.  It would be nice to have full control over our computing assets through ADSM.