ADSM-L

Server Performance

1998-05-14 02:09:11
Subject: Server Performance
From: Simon Watson <Simon.S.Watson AT OPENMAIL.FIC32.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:09:11 +0800
We are a fairly new ADSM site, yet to go into production.

AIX 4.2.1
ADSM 3.1.0.2 (soon to be 3.1.1.2 when I can successfully download it!)
AIX, HP UX, WNT 4 clients
3494 with 2 3590 drives
10BaseT and 100BaseT Clients (Server is on 100BAseT)
Disk pool as first pool and migrated then to tape daily.

We have been doing some backup and restore tests over 100BAseT and to
date performance is dissapointing.

Typical Network Data transfer rates are 4MB/sec although Aggregate Data
transfer rates are only .4MB/sec, ie 1/10th the network rate.  Neither
the server or the client are particularly busy during the transfers.
This is similar for backup (direct to disk) and restores (from tape).
This translates to almost 1.5 GB/hour throughput which is a bit poor.
I was expecting more than 10 times this figure.

The network seems OK as Network Data transfer rate is reasonable and
similar to an FTP.

IBM has installed the server for us and has the following parameters set

Server:  TCPWindow   0
        TCPNOdelay    Yes

Client:  No specific settings in dsm.sys or dsm.opt

I am not sure what 0 means, documentation only refers to this value for NT.

I would expect that setting the TCPWindowsize on server & client (in
dsm.sys I presume) to a larger value ie 2048, which is the maximum
would improve performance and also setting TCPNOdelay to NO would also help.

Should I do this?

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Simon