ADSM-L

Re: copypool question

1998-05-13 13:32:47
Subject: Re: copypool question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:32:47 -0400
Hi Dave...

If you want to copy a tape archive pool into a copy pool, you just use the
BACKUP STGPOOL command.

If your tape archive pool is called TAPEARCH, you would define a copy
storage pool for it.
If your copy pool is called TAPEARCH2, then the command is:

     BACKUP STGPOOL TAPEARCH TAPEARCH2

Now this causes tape mounts  (as you have apparently anticipated) by
mounting the input tape and the output tape.

If you want to avoid some tape mounts, what you do is manage your migration
times so that you get your tape copies BEFORE migration occurs.

Here's what I do:

My archive disk pool is called ARCHIVEDISK; my tape pool is ARCHIVEDLT and
the copy pool is ARCHIVEDLT2.

        *       I use an ADSM admin schedule to set the migration threshold
very high on ARCHIVEDISK.

        *       After 5pm, I run an admin schedule that creates the COPY
pool:  BACKUP STGPOOL ARCHIVEDISK ARCHIVEDLT2.

        *       Then I run an admin schedule to set the migration threshold
very low, i.e., force the migration to occur from ARCHIVEDISK to ARCHIVEDLT.

        *       Then I run an admin schedule to set the migration threshold
back high again

.By controlling when migration occurs, I make sure that my copy pool is
created by moving data from disk to tape, instead of tape to tape.  It's not
foolproof, an unusual amount of archive activity would force a migration
outside of my "planned" windows.

But, it GREATLY reduces the number of tape mounts most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert