ADSM-L

Problems with ADSM Backup - Archive Client for Windows

1998-05-08 16:27:02
Subject: Problems with ADSM Backup - Archive Client for Windows
From: John Gillis <jgillis2 AT CSC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:27:02 -0400
Background:

I am using ADSM running on MVS as a server using Version 2 and plan over the
next
couple of months to upgrade
it to version 3. We are only using ADSM to backup our desktop environment and
all
the clients are using Microsoft
Windows Backup-Archive client version 2. Over the last week I have asked some of
our users if they could use the new
Windows Backup-Archive Client version 3 software on their PC and try out the
backup, archive and restore functions.
So of them even got new PC's at that time so they were able to start off a new
full incremental backup.

So of these users have a new version of Windows 95 that uses FAT32 while others
have the older version(FAT).

Some of these users have reported problems using the new backup client
software(one with FAT32 and two using
normal FAT). I have looked thru the error log I found the following error
messages
displayed when these users
were trying to complete their first backup:

ANR1439E Allocate prohibited - transaction failed.
ANR0530W Transaction failed for session 23 for node PARKERG (Win95) -
server error detected.

I checked out the  messages for the above  and for ANR1439E is was as follows:

While attempting to preallocate storage on a storage pool, the ADSM server
detected that the transaction for this operation
has previously failed. This error may occur when a large file is selected for
backup and the client did not properly estimate
the file size. There may not be enough space in the storage pool.

System Action

An internal error is reported by the ADSM server and the operation being
performed
 is ended.

User Response

Examine error messages that may have been displayed prior to this message for
more
 information.

The message ANR0530W just states that an internal logic error has been detected.

Further investigations were carried and the following information was found
which
could be related to this:

Important: Set LARGECOMMBuffers=no in the options file.  See apar IC20486 for
more
 information.

Known Problems and Limitations------------------------------
  When backing up already-compressed files with a Version 3 client to a Version
2
server, under certain circumstances you may receive error message ANS1311 and
some
of the files may not back up.  Setting the COMPRESSALWAYS option to NO on the
client, or turning off server caching, will allow the files to be backed up.

Please find below the a copy of  the backup client options file that I have
provided for the users:

TCPServeraddress  XXXXX.XXXX.XXXXX
Tcpp 1500
Nodename  < User Name >
TCPBuffsize   32
TCPWindowsize 2048
TXNBytelimit  25600
Quiet
ERRORLOGRetention 7 d
SCHEDLOGRetention 7 d
SCROLLPrompt Yes
Passwordaccess Generate
DIRMc directories
COMPRESSION YES
COMPRESSAlways yes

 As you can see, I have COMPRESSALWAYS set to YES which is the default. Also
from
the server side, I always had
server caching turned on.

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I have in my client options file(DSM.OPT), COMPESSalways NO defined

2) Should I include LARGECOMMBuffers=NO in the client options file(Yes is the

3) Should I turn server caching off from the server side ???????

Speaking to those users that are having these problems, they said the failures
occur when they try to backup
compressed files (.zip extensions) but they could not tell me the exact message.

Appreciate any help or feedback..

Many Thanks

John Gillis