ADSM-L

ADSM Macros

1998-05-08 07:27:24
Subject: ADSM Macros
From: Stuart McIntyre <stuart AT DYADIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 12:27:24 +0100
Hi there,

Wow third email to the list in one day!!!

Server:        RS/6000 43P
Software: ADSM v3.1

A question,  I have several ADSM commands in a batch before I run my
nightly backup, some more afterwards, and a third set in the middle of the
day for admin purposes.  Obviously I could set up a separate admin schedule
for each command but that gives me a list of about thirty different
schedules, and because of the way ADSM displays the detailed format list it
is impossible to really documents how these fit together.

What would be much nicer is to set up a schedule for each set of commands,
in other words a macro.  I noticed that this feature is in ADSM, and set
these up.  Running them from the dsmadmc command line (e.g. "macro
/adsm/macro/daily_admin.macro") , they all work successfully.  However, if
I then try to set up and admin schedule to run this command it gives me the
following error:

ANR2755E DEFINE SCHEDULE or UPDATE SCHEDULE parameter CMD='macro
/adsm/macro/da-
ily_admin.macro' - not eligible for scheduling.

At this point I then noticed that the client schedule function has a macro
option, but this seems to try and run the macro on the client end as if you
typed the commands at the dsmc command line.

Why on earth have the macro function, if you can't then schedule it for the
times you need it to run.  You might as well type in each command one at a
time.  What is the best way to do this??

Stuart