ADSM-L

Configuring DLT Libraries with ADSM V3 on RS6K

1998-05-06 16:16:00
Subject: Configuring DLT Libraries with ADSM V3 on RS6K
From: "Alexander, Robert" <ralexander AT SHL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:16:00 -0500
Hello everyone.

I am bangin my head up against the wall trying to figure out why I am
getting errors trying to configure my DLT libraries on our new AIX
system.

We have an RS6K model R50 with 2 CPUs, 1024 MB RAM, and 8x9.1 GB SSA
drives.
We have previously run ADSM V2 on an HPUX system with 2 BreeceHill Q47
libraries (4 drive/60 slot).
We have moved to V3 on AIX and are using the libraries on the new
hardware platform.

We are running ADSM V3.1.1.0 on the AIX 4.2 system. The system has 4
SCSI controllers on the 2 MCA buses. We have placed the SCSI library
interface on 1 SCSI port and the 4 DLT drives on the other SCSI port. (2
SCSI controllers for each BreeceHill library.)  I have installed the
ADVANCED DEVICE support within ADSM and its latest patch from
index.storsys.ibm.com.  Each SCSI bus is within length specifications
and I have all of the devices configured and defined to ADSM. The system
works most of the time, but we get intermittent SCSI errors on the bus
(which shows up in ADSM as an adapter failure) and is also logged to
errpt. Sometimes I get library errors with have also showed up as being
bus errors or adapter errors.  I also occasionally get drive /dev/mt<x>
errors which are also intermittent. Is there something that I should be
looking at. I have run diag tests on the bus and everything checks out
ok.  We have AIX 4.2.1 installed and the updates from the update cd that
shipped with the product.  The drives themselves are defined at boot as
OST driver devices and do now work with the standard AIX device files
/dev/rmt<x>... but that is a feature of AIX's OST driver (so I hear).

The configuration within ADSM is that the library is defined as a SCSI
library, the device class is defined as type DLT and the drive format is
DLT20 (because they are DLT4000 models).  On our HP system, when it was
installed, the ADSM software that was using
these drives was configured as GENERICTAPE and format=DRIVE. Does this
matter?

Are there SCSI ptf's that I am unaware of? Is there some trick to
setting up these BreeceHill libraries? They are supported devices for
use with ADSM....  Why certify something as supported if it does not
work as directed?

PLEASE, If you have ANY suggestions at all, I would welcome them
thankfully!!!

IBMers: Are there AIX settings that need to be adjusted? Should I be
setting characteristics of the scsi adapters and the like?

Thanks for everybody's help and input on this matter.  It is greatly
appreciated!!!

Rob Alexander
MCI Systemhouse
ralexander AT shl DOT com