ADSM-L

Four questions regarding migration, reclamation, utilization

1998-05-05 12:29:04
Subject: Four questions regarding migration, reclamation, utilization
From: "Macek,Jennifer" <Jennifer.Macek AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:29:04 -0500
Hello fellow ADSMers!

   We are currently running ADSM v2r1 on a VM/ESA 2.1.0 system with
Sterling's VM:Tape product.
   Are tapes are being stored in 5 Storage Tek silos that we share with our
MVS system, so we have
   a limited amount of space.  We seem to be on a constant quest for more
resources, and I wanted
   to know if there is anything I can do to make better use of the resources
I'm currently using.

   My questions are:

1)   The high migration level we are setting for our stgpools doesn't seemed
to be clearing the data off
       of the minidisk.  We have 6 mod 3 DASD defined to one of our ADSM
servers with the highm=10 & lowm=5 and we're still at
       99.2% utilized.   This particular server backs up approximately 540
workstations and we are soon to get 400-800 more workstations.
       Is there anything else I can do to get better utilization out these
DASD volumes.  I can add more DASD for a quicker solution, but I
       am interested in long term solution if I can find one.   Any input
would be appreciated.

       Storage                      Device                    Estimated
%Util   %Migr    High    Low     Next
        Pool Name              Class Name         Capaci
ty                                    Mig%  Mig%  Storage

(MB)
Pool
        -----------                       ---------------
---------------    ------      -------     ------     ------      -----------
------
  BACKUPPOOL              DISK                      14,067.4
  BACKUPPOOL              DISK                      14,067.4
99.2      11.1       10        5           ETAPE

2)  Additionally we're currently utilizing 536 etapes for this server with a
reclamation threshold at 50%.
      If I lower the highm, the lowm and the reclamation thresholds will this
save me some tape utilization?
     Can anyone in ADSM land give me some ideas on what is working for
them?

          Storage                      Device               Estimated
%Util     %Migr    High   Low      Next
          Pool Name               Class Name
Capacity                                      Mig%  Mig%  Storage

(MB)
Pool
          -----------                       ---------------
---------------    ------      -------     ------     ------      -----------
------
          ETAPE                      ETAPES                436,754.9
          ETAPE                      ETAPES                436,754.9
58.9      82.6       70         40

3)  Is there a way I can check these tapes to see if they are utilizing the
entire length of the etapes?
     Here are the current settings in our device class for this server:

                       Device Class Name: ETAPES
                       Device Access Strategy: Sequential
                      Storage Pool Count: 2
                      Last Update by (administrator):
SERVER_CONSOLE
                      Last Update Date/Time: 01/15/1998 10:34:20
                      Device Type: Cartridge
                      Maximum Capacity (MB):
                      Estimated Capacity (MB): 900.0
                      Dataset Name Prefix: ADSM
                      Mount Limit: 8
                      Mount Retention (min): 0
                      Label Type: IBMSL
                      Expiration Date: 99365
                      Mount Wait (min): 60
                      Density:
                      Format: 3490C
                      Length: ECCST
                      Display: Alternate

4) Last but not least.  We are currently backing up the storage pools &
databases using ADSM's back up utilities, but I've also been backing up these
     volumes with Sterling's VM:Backup product to get a backup of the
minidisk itself.  Is this really necessary?  In a worst case scenario would I
be able
     create new minidisks, define them to the failing server and restore the
DB and storage pools just  from the ADSM backup?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Jennifer Macek
    Jennifer.Macek AT Abbott DOT com