ADSM-L

Scheduled excdsmc.exe Not Stopping

1998-05-04 13:53:01
Subject: Scheduled excdsmc.exe Not Stopping
From: jalarson <jalarson AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 11:53:01 -0600
We are using the ADSMConnect Agent for Exchange and have noticed a
reoccurring problem.  The backups are scheduled from the ADSM server per the
instructions in the manual.

For whatever reason, the "excdsmc.exe" service spawned task will not always
terminate after a backup has completed or after a backup has failed.  This
causes all subsequent backups to fail to start due to a "backup is already
active" message.  Here is a segment from my backup log:

05/04/1998 09:53:04,COMMAND LINE : c:\adsm\agentexc\excdsmc /backup:is,full
/a
dsmoptfile:c:\adsm\agentexc\dsm.opt /logfile:c:\adsm\agentexc\exctmpIS.log
05/04/1998 09:53:05,BACKUP(CLC) - Database: IS,Type: 0,Actual bytes: N/A,
Secs: 0.00,Kb/Sec: 0.00,Exchange server: NTX03,ADSM server:
c:\adsm\agentexc\dsm.opt,Status: Exchange Error: Backup is already active.

The ADSM server shows no session to the Exchange server.

I can get passed the problem by killing the "excdsmc.exe" process off of the
box and waiting for about 10 minutes before starting a manual backup.

Anyone else seen this?  Any good workarounds?

        Jim

Jim Larson
LAN Services
Micron Technology, Inc.