ADSM-L

Moving an ADSM server from one machine to another

2015-10-04 17:59:02
Subject: Moving an ADSM server from one machine to another
From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/30/98 12:57PM
We moved our MVS server from one machine to another by using just the backup
and restore of the DB.  We made sure all of the data was off the DASD pools,
and only on the tape pools.  We took the tapes with us to the new machine,
and used them for a while until they were either empty, or migrated.

I would not use Export/Import if I could avoid it - it is very time
consuming, and a duplication of effort in the scenario you outlined.

Be aware, however, that the Backup/Restore process will only work if the
server platforms are both the same (both MVS, for example).  You cannot use
this method to move from one platform to another (MVS to AIX for example).
This is because the formats of the backups are incompatible.  If you are
moving to a different server platform, export/import is the only way to go.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    4/30/98 12:57 PM

We would like to move two of our ADSM servers from one machine to another.
My thoughts on this were to set up ADSM on the new machine, perform an
EXPORT SERVER/IMPORT SERVER to copy over all of the admin, nodes, etc. to
the new server and format and define the new database, recovery log and
storage volumes.    Then I would perform a full ADSM DB backup on the old
machine and then do a DSMSERV RESTORE DB on the new machine.

One question that I have is whether all of my work on the new machine
(definition of new storage pool volumes, etc  - which is different from the
old machine's setup due to more disk space and different file system names)
is going to get wiped out with the RESTORE DB - what exactly will the
RESTORE DB restore on a non-corrupt system???

There was another post this morning about copying an ADSM database volume
from one machine to another.   Is that a supported means of moving an ADSM
server from one machine to another?    If I did that, would I have to set up
the new machine with identical file systems and dataset names as the old
machine???

Any assistance that can be provided would be muchly appreciated...
John Rushton
Lockheed Martin M&DS