ADSM-L

Re: SHMEM or TCP/IP?

1998-04-30 08:14:16
Subject: Re: SHMEM or TCP/IP?
From: "Yelle, Michael 2-3823" <MGY4V AT HSCMAIL.MCC.VIRGINIA DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:14:16 -0400
Ask your IBM rep for the document "ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
for AIX V3 R 1 Performance Evaluation Report". It does not have a
document number, but it is dated 10/31/97 and the authors are Holley,
Knapp and Paranjape.  The report documents performance of RS/6000 F50's
under various conditions.

You should look at the detail in the report, but in their lab on a F50
(4 cpus) shared memory achieved 63 Gigabytes/hour. TCP/IP on FDDI
achieved 32.44 Gigabytes an hour.  Both are pretty impressive.

Remember, the only guarantee with a bench mark is that you will not
exceed what they achieved.

Michael