ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Mail servers

1998-04-22 17:47:02
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Mail servers
From: Shane Smith <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 07:47:02 +1000
hi julie

we backup notes 4.5.3 servers using the connect agent.

we repelicate our notes databases amongst our servers in our lan/wan, but we do
not replicate
mail. so, we decided to install connect agent for notes email. the first backup
takes the longest, but
after that we just get the incrementals and the backup time is under an hour -
on a busy server, which
is remote (256k bps wan).

if we ran the b/a client we would be backing up entire notes email files each
time it changes. for example,
we have a few ppl with 100m of mail in the notes servers. if they recieve a new
email, the b/a client will
flag the entire 100m of data to be backed up. whereas, the connect agent will
only pick up the new email
message (of couirse, the connect agent would of had to of backed up the initial
100m file at an earlier stage).

we have found the connect agent to be both reliable and fast, and (touch wood)
have not a problem with
it so far.

we get notes to fire-off the adsm connect agent at the appropriate time each
evening.

regards
shane