ADSM-L

Can you help me with information on ADSM throughput for UNIX/Oracle SAP backups to a mainframe

1998-04-21 12:30:19
Subject: Can you help me with information on ADSM throughput for UNIX/Oracle SAP backups to a mainframe
From: John Rajca <jrajca AT AGL.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:30:19 -0700
Hello,

We are currently installing ADSM on an IBM RB5 CMOS mainframe and plan
to use it to backup Novell and NT servers.

We also have some Sun UNIX systems running SAP with an Oracle database
and are investigating the possibility of using the mainframe ADSM server
to backup our SAP systems. I would like to find out what throughput
other sites have achieved backing up SAP to a mainframe.

We are considering a number of options including a 100Mb/sec switched
ethernet network to interconnect our UNIX systems and the mainframe.

Our mainframe has 8 StorageTek Silverton 4490 tape cartridge drives with
two control units. Thus, the aggregrate speed of writing data to tape is
6MB/sec.

Our main SAP production system will soon be implemented on a Sun 450
machine.

Our IBM CMOS mainframe has two processors with each one rated at 42Mips.

I would appreciate any information you can give me on your actual
throughput and details of your environment so that I can try to estimate
our likely throughput.

Thanks