ADSM-L

Strange DST discovery

1998-04-15 08:07:06
Subject: Strange DST discovery
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:07:06 -0400
Date:     April 15, 1998           Time: 7:17 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
I suppose there's a logical expatiation for what I just saw this morning, but
I suppose there's a logical expatiation for what I just saw this morning, but
it escapes me at the moment.....

I was poking through my Sequential Volume History log this morning, looking
at the DB backup tape history, and I noticed that backup events scheduled for
6:00 AM were being reported as starting at 7:00 AM.  Then I realized that
these were the older entries in the log (prior to 4/5) - the ones after 4/5
were correct (started at 6:00).  The only explanation I can come up with is
that times are being reported as Daylight savings time events, even though
they occurred when we were on standard time (or is that daylight wasting
time?)!

I would have expected that the actual local time of the event would have been
recorded - not the time according to GMT.  This means that when the date is
given in a report, the time must be recalculated for each event - in other
words - GMT plus the local offset has to be applied!

I checked this against both a V2 and a V3 admin. client, (GUI), and also a V3
command line client, and the behavior was the same.  This would imply that
the conversion is on the server (Which in my case is MVS V2 L13.

The only explanation that I can see for this is the "fall back" to standard
time - if GMT is stored, and then the time offset is applied, duplicate
entries can't occur.  Is this the logic that was followed, or is there a
different reason?  It also brings up some interesting questions - such as
what happens to events that occurred in the hour after 11:00 PM (23:00) just
prior to the DST change?  Were they reported as happening at 24:30, perhaps?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.