ADSM-L

Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only

1998-04-14 16:06:18
Subject: Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only
From: "Bonetti, Dan J." <bonettdj AT WESTINGHOUSE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:06:18 -0400
I do not believe it is a private fix. Let me explain briefly what I was
seeing. Frist, we are running on a AIX 4.1.5, Atape is at 4.1.3.0, Atldd is
at 3.1.2.0, and 6 of the 8 3590s are at micorcode level 957D, the other two
at 9515.

We were also receiving a lot of Tape_err1 errors as well as Sim_mim errros.
Far to many to believe they meant nothing, which are ce stated. In truth, he
was right. Sim_mim normally could be ignored, it was the frequency in which
they were occurring.

Also, we were getting tape errors nightly. The one comment I read of
deleting the volume with discard=yes is also no solution. You lose inactive
files when you do that. What if the tape was an archive....you lost
everything. It had nothing to do with the database no knowing the data was
on the tape. It most
definitely did. Tape was requested, but, processing failed due to access of
tape.

The reason we upgraded everything to the most current levels was at first, I
also thought it was hardware or media. I even checked to make sure we did
not switch vendors in the aspect of who we were buying tapes from. As we
went along, it was becoming more and more apparent it was software. Finally,
I was given the new dsmserv. I downloaded from index.storsys.ibm.com and put
it on today.

              Dan Bonetti

E-mail   bonettdj AT westinghouse DOT com
Phone  (W) 284-3003   (B) 374-3003