ADSM-L

Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only

1998-04-14 15:48:20
Subject: Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only
From: "John A. Morgan" <jamorgan AT SAMFORD DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:48:20 -0500
On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:07:56 -0400 "Bonetti, Dan J."
<bonettdj AT WESTINGHOUSE DOT COM> wrote:

> and use bad media. There is a problem with media and excessive errors with
> Adsm version 3. I have been getting write errors on tapes, which cause them
> to go read-only since installing version 3. I opened a pmr with IBM
> concerning this and found their is a fix, it is to the Adsm code itself
> (dsmserv).
>
> I just installed the fix and hope it will correct the problem. We are
> running 8 3590's in an 3494 library. The read errors have also caused us
> some problems.
> We installed the latest atape driver, atldd driver and micro code on the
> 3590's, but still were getting the errors. Finally, this fix was given to
> us. And yes, I felt it was a bug with the software.
>

>               Dan Bonetti
>
> E-mail   bonettdj AT westinghouse DOT com
> Phone  (W) 284-3003   (B) 374-3003
>
> > ----------

I have a 8mm IBM tape library and have just gotten some of
these i/o errors where the tape went read/only. I then did
a audit volume which reads and checks the tape for any tape
or database problems. The audit volume should indicate a
problem with a file during a write operation. This audit
volume command did not indicate any problem with my tape so
I was able to update volume readwrite and continue.
John A. Morgan
John A. Morgan
Email: jamorgan AT samford DOT edu
Samford University