ADSM-L

Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only

1998-04-08 13:55:00
Subject: Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only
From: Mark Linehan <markl AT NSMC.PARTNERS DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:55:00 -0500
>010Date: 8-Apr-98 7:55:13 -0500
>From: FRAMAEKE @ SMTP (Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.) {framaeke AT AUSTIN.CC.TX DOT
>US}
>To: ADSM-L @ SMTP {ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU}
>001Subject: Tape with write error going Read/Only
>
>I just started with ADSM v3.1 on AIX and have run into a problem.  I have
>one tape in a tape pool that went into "error state" and "read-only".  It
>shows that there is 1 write error.  What is the recovery procedure for this
>tape?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.  Austin Community College     Voice: (512)223-7619
>Systems Programmer      5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.    Fax:   (512)483-7664
>Information Services    Austin, Texas  78752-4390

Well we have had dozens of tapes going read-only and then unavilable on our
system. I ran all the diagnostics I had on the tape library itself, and the
drives all passed with no problems. I am now deleting the 5 volumes that
are read-only, discarding data, and will start them over again. I am under
the opinion that the database no longer knows what is on these tapes and
thereby doesn't know how to handle the data on them and refuses to write to
them. I am running ADSM v1.2 and was told by tech. support not to run audit
vol fix=yes because it will corrupt the database... *sigh*