ADSM-L

Re: AUDIT RECLAIM Utilities

1998-04-07 18:32:41
Subject: Re: AUDIT RECLAIM Utilities
From: Larry Sanders <sanders AT SHOWME.MISSOURI DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:32:41 -0500
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, David Cannon wrote:

> As stated above, the utilities are not yet available.  However, the above post
> also suggests that using the NOAGGREGATES option will reduce the amount of
> processing that the utilities will need to perform.  This is not true.  In
> fact, using this option will increase the processing that must be performed by
> the utilities.  Probably the only real reason to use the NOAGGREGATES option
> would be if you are running short of tapes and cannot afford to leave empty
> space within aggregates after reclamation has been performed.
>
> To repeat, do not use the NOAGGREGATES option with the expectation that this
> will reduce the amount of time required to run the utilities.

Dave,

I'm still searching for complete understanding.  You said in an earlier
posting that the 3.1.1.1 level of the AIX server "corrects data
movement/reclamation problems".  But it still does not perform reclamation
of space within aggregates.  Is that correct?  Will space be reclaimed
only if all of the files in an aggregate have expired?  I don't
particularly care about the utilities to identify/manage files that might
have been affected by the problem, since I am only running V3 in a test
environment, and will throw everything in that environment away.  But I
can't afford to upgrade my production environment from V2 to V3 until I
can reclaim tapes.  If I go ahead and upgrade to the 3.1.1.1 level of the
server, using NOAGGREGATES, will I still have to run a very lengthy
utility when the agggregate reclamation fix becomes available, even though
I know I won't have any corrupted files from the original problem?

Thanks,
Larry Sanders                         Email:  cclrs AT showme.missouri DOT edu
Larry Sanders                         Email:  cclrs AT showme.missouri DOT edu
Information and Access                Phone:  573 882-6002
     Technology Services
University of Missouri - Columbia