ADSM-L

Re: AUDIT RECLAIM Utilities

1998-04-07 17:08:50
Subject: Re: AUDIT RECLAIM Utilities
From: David Cannon <cannon AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:08:50 -0400
>Andy, The reclamation utility function is not available yet.   In our
>announcement Friday, April 3rd it was explained that our reclamation
>                utilites will be made available soon.  The server you are
>running supports the new (temporary) option NOAGGREGATES
>                which disables file aggregation.  One good reason to use this
>option is to limit the number of ADSM aggregates
>                 the utilites will have to process.

As stated above, the utilities are not yet available.  However, the above post
also suggests that using the NOAGGREGATES option will reduce the amount of
processing that the utilities will need to perform.  This is not true.  In
fact, using this option will increase the processing that must be performed by
the utilities.  Probably the only real reason to use the NOAGGREGATES option
would be if you are running short of tapes and cannot afford to leave empty
space within aggregates after reclamation has been performed.

To repeat, do not use the NOAGGREGATES option with the expectation that this
will reduce the amount of time required to run the utilities.

Sorry about the confusion.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development