ADSM-L

Re: It's too easy! (The other side?)

1998-04-07 09:06:08
Subject: Re: It's too easy! (The other side?)
From: Bob Matthews <Robert.Matthews AT SEINF.UNIGE DOT CH>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:06:08 +0200
>We haven't heard from the other side yet.

Sometimes there isn't another side!

I apologize if this is a bit off the main tack but I thought an historical
footnote might help (or amuse):

I don't know if it still happens, but once upon a time we had organizations
such as Share and Share Europe whose users would formulate requirements which
would be voted on and were then, if they received sufficient support, submitted
to IBM. IBM would normally respond along the lines "Future Objective" or "Long
Range Consideration", (how noncommittal can you get?), but at least it was a
democratic process. The requirements were then left on the shelf to gather
dust. A few years later someone might notice that, in the meantime, the
competitors had provided the requested features, but by then it was too late.
There may still be some old-timers in IBM who can remember all this though I
suspect they've been swept out of the way.

Bob Matthews,
University of Geneva.