ADSM-L

Archiving files with the DFS backup client

1998-04-06 07:32:51
Subject: Archiving files with the DFS backup client
From: Alexander Verkooyen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:32:51 +0200
Hello,

I've just encountered something strange when I tried
to archive a file with the ADSM DFS client
(Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.1) on AIX 4.2.1.

When I tried to archive a file in a JFS filesystem with

dsmc archive myfile

the client reported that it had archived the file, but
when I tried a

dsmc query archive "*"

the file was not to be found. When I tried the same thing
with a file in a LFS filesystem (the 'native' filesystem type
for DFS) the archive command took a lot longer to complete
(probably due to the fact that the server had to mount a
tape, something it didn't do for the file from JFS) and the
file was archived properly.

So, it seems not to be possible to archive files from JFS filesystems
with the DFS backup client. This is a bit strange because it _is_
possible to back up files from JFS with this client.
Alexander Verkooijen                SARA
Alexander Verkooijen                SARA
Systems Programmer                  Academic Computing
alexander AT sara DOT nl                   Services Amsterdam