ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes and ADSM

1998-04-03 11:25:54
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes and ADSM
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:25:54 -0700
Based on my very short testing, Notes doesn't really have the file open if
isn't actually writing to it.  So if you creating a message, but don't
actually save it, the database isn't really open.  So, ADSM, no matter the
serialization, will get the file.  If the serialization is shared static
and you save the message, ADSM will start the backup of that file over
again.  Obviously, if these saves happen often enough the file may never
get backed up, but ADSM will keep trying.  If one uses serialization
dynamic, the file will be backed up on the first try even if a note save
occurs.  That note will be perhaps be messed up in the backup.  But, the
next time the backup is run, the note will be backed up correctly.  A
messed up backup of a note isn't a problem.

Consider the timing: ADSM backup runs.  Right after that a new note is
created.  Is that note backed up?  No.  Alternatively: ADSM is running, a
note is being created during the backup, and that backup isn't accurate.
 Is this any different than the first case?  No.

I think the stuff I've discussed above is of larger issue in larger
environments.   My approach is one of practicality.  I think using periodic
backup/archive agent backups of the notes databases, either with notes on
or off separated by daily agent "incremental" backups is the correct
approach.

Kelly