ADSM-L

Re: Audit Library, and handy library utilities for determini

1998-04-03 10:54:42
Subject: Re: Audit Library, and handy library utilities for determini
From: Craig Bell <rcbell AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:54:42 -0500
---------
>Once upon a time, I decided to run AUDIT LIBRARY because I kept gettin>Once
>upon a time, I decided to run AUDIT LIBRARY because I kept getting I/O
>errors (ANR8300E) stating that the destination drive or slot was full when
>trying to move a volume.  To my surprise, the audit completed and said that
>tape IBS020 was removed from the library ADICLIB.  So, there I was,
>standing there, looking right at a tape labeled IBS020 in my library.  When
>I attempted to CHECKIN the tape, it couldn't find it.

>>ADSM knows about what's in a library from what the library tells ADSM.
>>Sometimes libraries drop tapes and otherwise lose track of things.
>>If you have a command external to ADSM to query this library (as the
>>3494 has the 'mtlib' command), use that for verification.
>>You may have to cause the library to reinventory itself to reacquaint
>>it with its contents - and do so in a way which does not wipe out
>>category codes and like info which is needed to track the status of
>>tapes.

There are two utilities to use.  'tapeutil' is used with those libraries that
are supported by the Atape  (ie. 3590-b11, 3570, and 3575).  'lbtest' is used
with all other libraries, which are supported by the ADSM device driver.  It's
found in the adsm server directory.  In both cases, they offer the ability to
open the library device using the /dev/lb0  or /dev/rmtX.smc special files, get
element counts, do an element inventory, or initialize the element status of
the libraries.  This allows you to get the same info as adsm gets from the
library, and it offers a way of isolating a problem as being from ADSM or with
the library itself.

Their use comes with warnings:  their menus allow you to shoot yourself in the
foot.  Limit yourself to just getting the element information/inventory and
initializing the element status.  The latter causes the robot to re-inventory
the slots, so with some models this can take a while.  Also, only use them when
ADSM is not actively using the robot because if the utility has the robot file
open, ADSM will fail when it tries to open it.  I recommend halting ADSM or
quiescing access to the tape storagepools before you use them, if possible.

Craig Bell