ADSM-L

Re: Slow Stgp Backup

1998-04-03 10:47:47
Subject: Re: Slow Stgp Backup
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:47:47 -0700
How many tape mounts have you had?  How full are the primary tape pool
tapes?  More importantly, how fragmented are they?  As data expires on
these tapes, the space on them becomes fragmented so there's a lot of
skipping through the tape.  ADSM is smart enough not to shoe-shine the
tape.

This seems long, unless you've got a bunch of tapes.  I'd guess you've
probably mounted four or five and that isn't really too many.

I'll emphasize that doing the copy storage pool real early in the game is
the best approach as it gets more and more difficult if you wait.

How many of you out there aren't using copy storage pools?  Shame on you!

Kelly