ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:59:01
        I too have the problem of users backing up the entire universe.

        I tried to implement the installation of the Ver 3.x client with
a read only copy and hidden of the DSM.OPT file, after having modified
it for our environment, however I found that the installation wouldn't
install it as read only/hidden, so I have to modify DSM.OPT on each PC.

        This is only partially successful because some PC's are unique,
but we do have some standards, for the majority of machines, and running
a Netware/NT network and backing up to a 9221 running VM/ESA 2.1 (ADSM
ver 2.1... <asking for ADSM ver 3.x for VM!!!>), our drive mappings are
pretty consistent.

        Another way I ve delt with this, is just to hide the backup
client from the user (remove it from the menu itself), and then start
DSMC as an NT service. (I ve had no problem with the service running,
but again I have to perform manual intervention on each PC), this would
be a nice feature to have as part of the install.

        Perhaps there could be a way to integrate the backup of drives
with user rights/policies in an NT/Netware environment? For example,
could the right to backup up a CD ROM be denied, since NT knows what is
a CD ROM it shouldn't be too hard to deny that right by default, then
allow the ADMINISTRATOR to assign the right to backup that, or any other
designated drive.

        Along these same lines is the inability to have a centralized
DSM.OPT file(s).
        For example, in an NDS world, I could use the GROUP membership
or PROFILE to determine who has the right to back up only their own
drive.

        While you can have a network copy of DSM.OPT, you compromise the
saving of certain key system files on an NT workstation. If you run DSMC
as a service on an NT station, and you run your backup BEFORE logging in
to your network, you do save these specific NT system files, but you
dont have any network drives mapped therefor you can't use a networked
copy of DSM.OPT. Perhaps there is a way to backup the NT system files
first, then have ADSM map to the network drive where a custom DSM.OPT
file is kept.

        Ian Swartz
        Seligman Data Corp.