ADSM-L

Database backups, tracking, etc?

1998-04-03 08:15:23
Subject: Database backups, tracking, etc?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT CORNPONE.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:15:23 -0500
Greetings, all.

I'm working on using ADSM to secure my DB2 databases, and have a few
procedural questions.

(ADSM 2.1, DB2 2.1 ... Both of these will get upgraded in the next few
months. I already have some UDB installations in test)

1: The biggest irritation I've encountered in this process so far is that I
seem to have to use scratch ADSM volumes to receive my backups; I can't seem
to back any "database" type information to a storage pool, either DB2
database, or ADSM database... ?

2: How do those of you already doing this maintain some sense of "120G of
backup space is devoted to database <Q>, another 60 to database <P>, etc."
when all ADSM gives you is "This volume has Database data on it" ?

Ideally, I'd like to define storage pools for each of my broad client areas,
and that way have some rule-of-thumb sense of how much space is being occupied
by each application area.  Am I whacked to be thinking this way?  What is The
Right Way to look at it? :)

Allen S. Rout
Indoctrinate me, please?