ADSM-L

NT 4.0 Bare Metal Restore

1998-04-02 06:26:00
Subject: NT 4.0 Bare Metal Restore
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Thursday, April 02, 1998 11:26 AM
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:26:49 -0600
     What you describe below is NOT a solution...it's a work around.

     Your discussion here, Andy's earlier, and all other discussion about
     this fail to point out why the v3 client gui still does not establish
     whatever is specified in DOMAIN as the default.  You know...highlight
     those drives!  Pre-expanding the tree is a good idea, but not enough.

     If the command line and scheduler interfaces do recognise and honor
     the DOMAIN as stated, the gui should too... WITHOUT the need for
     developers to add new action items,  and more important WITHOUT the
     need for me to run around to all my users and retrain them!

     Let me approach this from other angles:

     1. You have opened up a HUGE potential impact to adsm db space
     requirements AND storage pool space.

     2. What is the point of backing up data on a network drive that I have
     read access to but not write access.

     3. Even if I was in a group that did have write access, answer this
     one: who of the 100's of clients that backed up file  X  has the
     definative say over what gets restored?  Let me see....File X changes
     daily.  If Andy backed it up today, Mike's backup was from yesterday
     (not in the office today), and mine was from a MONTH ago (because I
     don't do regular incrmentals), and I open file X and say "Hey, this
     file is !@#$%", I will restore the last one I have, and screw up the
     rest of the users of this file.

     Um, when did Jerry become the sole voice of the ADSM user community?
     He certainly did recognize a problem, report it, and something was
     done.  But, as I've stated before, the methods ADSM development is
     proposing are UNACCEPTABLE to me because of the very real aspects of
     system failure and data integrety.

     I cannot recommend going forward with V3 clients at this time.

     Regards,
     Al Barth
     Scudder Kemper Investments